Not sure if this is big potatoes or not for the future of the church in Canada. However, there is a lot of analysis at the above links if you’re looking…
Last week, the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) released its long-awaited decision regarding Trinity Western University’s (TWU) proposed law school.While the law school had received accreditation from the law societies of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador, accreditation was denied by the law societies of British Columbia, Ontario and Nova Scotia. TWU took them all to court, and the cases in BC and Ontario went all the way to the Supreme Court. On Friday (June 15th), the SCC released its decision, in which it sided with the law societies, effectively shutting down TWU’s dream of opening a law school.
The details are long and somewhat complicated but there is no questioning the fact that loss was devastating to TWU and sent shock waves through Canada’s Christian community. Much debate amongst legal experts is sure to follow, as Canada now tries to untangle another SCC decision which creates uncertainty about the extent of religious freedom in Canada.
We are not going to try and unpack this important issue in this small space. Rather, we want to call you to pray for pastors and Christian leaders across the nation (if you want more background information on the TWU cases, go here, here or here).
PRAYER POINTS FOR TWU and RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
- Pray for Trinity Western University, that they would be strengthened and encouraged after this discouraging news.
- Pray that rather than shrinking back, the church in Canada would be emboldened to witness of Christ without apology.
- Pray that church leaders and pastors would not shrink from teaching the clear truths of scripture, but would be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves.
- Pray for divine strategies to move forward and impact our nation with the gospel.
- Pray for a great revival to break out amongst the LGTBQ community, transforming their hearts and lives and impacting the nation.
- Pray that the church would would respond with compassion toward the broken, while not compromising the truth of God’s word.
- Pray that a hunger for holiness would arise in the church, that we would lead with our lifestyle and not just with words.